New students: Don't forget to register with your local GP!
Registration with a GP, healthcare and prescriptions are free and delivered by the NHS in Scotland.
The NHS provides free healthcare to UK residents through public funding. International students who hold a valid student visa can expect to receive treatments from the UK's National Health Service (NHS).
Students living on campus or in the Musselburgh area (postcodes EH15 or EH21)
If you have registered at Riverside Medical Practice please note the following information:听
- To make an appointment, call 0300 790 6266 from 8am for new health concerns only. Riverside are currently running a same-day appointment service.
- Call after 10am for all other matters, including booking blood tests, booking nurse appointments (smear tests, asthma checks, diabetes checks etc.) or prescription and admin queries.
- For mental health concerns you can access the which has a separate contact number Telephone: 0300 790 6292
Please note: It can be difficult to get through to the Practice to book a GP appointment due to current pressures on the NHS but please persist.
Riverside Medical Practice is located at:
Musselburgh Primary Care Centre
If you have a health concern which you feel needs attention that day听but GP appointments are fully booked, you can request an emergency assessment by one of the Practice's triage nurse practitioners, who will assess whether you need an emergency GP appointment.
Once you are registered with the Practice you can or order via your local pharmacy. You cannot order prescriptions by calling the Practice.
You can also continue to get your prescriptions from your home practice if you prefer.
Students living outside of Musselburgh
Please check the
For medical emergencies outside of open hours (6pm onwards)
- Call directly by phoning: 111 between 6 pm to 8 am.
Sexual Health, Contraception, STI Testing and additional specialist services
If you would like to access our Edinburgh sexual health and advice service which is based in Edinburgh please do visit their webpage where you can self-refer and make a direct appointment for a number of specialist services and support.
Information on when to call 111 (NHS 24)
Find an NHS service
- from A&E to dental services and minor injury clinics
Mental Health and Wellbeing听
for advice and information regarding mental health and wellbeing
For further resources and information related to mental health and wellbeing please visit our wellbeing service webpage.听